For 60 years by now that the Budapest Research Reactor has been safely operating on the KFKI campus in Csillebérc, 10 km from the center of the capital. Its successful launch in March, 1959 was a milestone in research and technology for the domestic scientific and engineering community. Its scientific significance and the sometimes surprising use of the results of the research there were also discussed at a ceremony held at the Hungarian Academy of Sciences on 28 March, 2019. [Picture Gallery of the celebration]
Sixty years ago, on 25 March, 1959, the Budapest Research Reactor (BRR) was commissioned in Csillebérc, in the Central Research Institute for Physics of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences. The reactor was Soviet-made, but over the past six decades it had undergone two major upgrades, by which, with little exaggeration, everything, but the building was replaced in it, and it became entirely domestic.